Valoran is one of the two continents of Runeterra, with the other one being Shuriman. The majority of League of Legends story occurs on this continent. Among others, it is where Noxus, Freljord, and Demacia are located.
The two continents are connected to each other with a man-made bridge, which connects Zaun and Piltover. In fact, these two places were previously one city, which broke down into two pieces (that is, Zaun and Piltover) when once a single continent split into Shuriman and Valoran.
In this LoL Valoran guide, I will talk about the topography of the continent, its main cities and locations, and where some of the champions come from.
Key Info Up Front
Valoran is Runeterra’s continent. This is where Freljord, Noxus, Piltover, Zaun, and Demacia are situated. It is the homeland of numerous League of Legends champions such as Freljord’s Ashe, Demacia’s Garen, and Noxus’ Darius.
The History of Valoran
According to historians, all events in the Valoran past can be segregated into 5 categories: The Reign of the Sisters, The Great Darkin War, The Birth of Mordekaiser, The Rune Wars, and The Creation of the First Nations of Valoran.
The Reign of the Sisters
Before there was even a notion of Demacia or Noxus, there were three sisters called Lissandra, Avarosa, and Serylda. In their pursuit of power, each one of them wanted to monopolize war, and each one of them failed to do so.
Punished by the primordial god Volibear, Lissandra was forced to roam the world blind. Instead of remaining within our plane of existence, she decided to invade the dream world. This is where she realized the immense threat of the Void, which can eternally end all of the creation.
In a last-ditch effort to stop these dire events and save Runeterra, she made a complex plan. She would first strike a deal with Watchers, powerful entities of the Void that led the charge against Runeterra. Lissandra vowed to prepare the field for their coming, and in return, the Watchers made her almost unkillable. At first, her sisters didn’t know about this deal, but in time, Lissandra’s plan became obvious.
Once Avarosa and Serylda became aware of this pact, they rallied allies in an attempt to destroy the Watchers and Lissandra. She sacrificed both Avarosa and Serylda and their followers, after which she backstabbed Watcher putting them in an ice prison for all eternity. In turn, this move prevented the destruction of Runeterra.
Unfortunately, the ice prison couldn’t contain such power; it could only pacify the Watchers. In time, the elements around these beings started changing and taking a darker form. Afterward, Lissandra created a new group of allies called Frostguard that would stand by her side, preparing for the eventual melting of ice that held dark powers in place.
The Great Darkin War
Shuriman Empire was one of the greatest civilizations in the history of Runeterra. As it usually goes, after numerous years of progress, the country started to decline. This led to a civil war called the Great Darkin War.
The remaining soldiers of the empire would battle for years and years, eventually destroying each other. The effect of this conflict was cataclysmic, placing the whole Runeterra in turmoil from which it took hundreds of years to recover.
The Birth of Mordekaiser
The following period was marked by Mordekaiser, the Iron Revenant. As he was getting close to his death, a great but malicious general, Sahn-Uzal, managed to persuade a group of sorcerers to revive him by placing his soul into a metal armor.
The power he got from the process was something he could never dream of. After gathering his followers, he started exploring the realms beyond death, stopping at nothing to increase his knowledge. Such behavior created numerous enemies, and Mordekeiser was finally defeated by one of his own followers, LeBlanc.
They managed to banish him from the material realm. Unfortunately for them, Mordekaiser was actually counting on this. When he went to the Underworld, he gathered all the soldiers who fought with him during his lifetime. Together, they would create a new empire in the spirit world.
The Rune Wars
Centuries and centuries after the fall of Mordekaiser, people uncovered powerful objects called “World Runes.” As more of them appeared, scientists had an opportunity to thoroughly research them. One of the prevailing theories was that these runes were used to make Runeterra.
When rulers realized their true power, they quickly sought to weaponize them. This led to events known as “Rune Wars.” The whole continent was thrown into a conflict, and people could no longer trust each other. A powerful mage, Ryze, frantically tried to collect the runes and seal them from anyone who would misuse them.
Some people even fled to petricite forest of Demacia, as they heard that the material could reduce the magic power of the runes. Eventually, the conflicts slowly subsided but not without leaving a permanent trace on the lands of Runeterra.
The Creation of the First Nations of Valoran
When the Rune Wars ended, people tried to huddle under the same banners, seeking protection and solace. Old nations were reformed under different rulers, and new countries were built by war refugees.
All Noxian tribes managed to gather under one banner, creating Noxus, with a capital Noxus Prime situated in the East Valoran. In the west, a new kingdom of Demacia arose, eventually becoming a dire opponent to Noxus.
Layout of Valoran
According to the official League of Legends lore, the continent can be split into 5 main parts:
- North (Freljord)
- East (Noxus)
- South (Piltover and Zaun)
- West (Demacia)
- Central (lots of smaller nations and cities)
- Bandle City
Valoran is connected to Shuriman via a southeast bridge. Its northern areas are covered in snow, while the rest of the continent is mostly green, with lots of lush vegetation. There are also a few desert areas, although not as many as those in Shuriman.
North Valoran is where Freljord is situated. It is a land with a very cold climate, inhabited by numerous creatures and champions. People from this land are known for their resiliency and resourcefulness. Most of them are used to raiding and hunting, and they make for great warriors. Among others, they frequently attack the southern lands of Noxus and Demacia.
For the most part, the people of the Freljord are separated into three tribes, which are led by Ashe, Sejuani, and Lissandra. Each one of these leaders has a different view on how the land should be governed. Sejuani clings to warrior tradition, while Ashe wants to bring turbulent changes to the region. There are also those who follow Lissandra, believing that her sorcery will bring stability and prosperity.
Perception of Freljord
Freljord is a land of magic and mystery inhabited by numerous wild creatures. Other nations of Valoran perceive them as nothing more than savages that seek to ravage their lands. This belief is reinforced by the fact that their incursions are becoming more brutal and widespread with each passing year.
As the raids on Nexus and Demacia become more frequent, wise men and women of Freljord fear an imminent retaliation from either one of these countries. In an attempt to avoid the conflict, more and more warriors start to gravitate towards Ashe, seeing her as someone who can bring stability to the region.
Notable champions of Freljord
- Ashe (Faction: Avarosan, related to Sejuani, Braum, Tryndamere, and Lissandra)
- Anivia (Faction: Avarosan, related to Ornn, Volibear, Brand, Nunu, Lissandra, Ashe, and Sejuani)
- Braum (Faction: Avarosan, related to Pyke, Yasuo, Gankplank, Viego, Ahri, Illaoi, Yuumi, Ashe, Tryndamere, and other characters)
- Gnar (Faction: none, related to Rengar and Willump)
- Gragas (Faction: Avarosan, related to Braum, Jax, Tryndamere, and Ashe)
- Lissandra (Faction: Frostguard, related to Ornn, Nunu, Ashe, Tryndamere, Udyr, Trundle, Anivia, Willump, and other characters)
- Nunu (Faction: Frostguard, related to Anivia, Willump, and Lissandra)
- Olaf (Faction: Winter Claw, previously Sentinels of Light, related to Viego, Lucian, Riven, Gwen, Senna, Miss Fortune, Volibear, Sejuani, Rengar, and other characters)
- Ornn (Faction: none, related to Braum, Lissandra, Ashe, Anivia, Volibear, and Sejuani)
- Sejuani (Faction: Winter Claw, related to Ornn, Volibear, Ashe, Tryndamere, Lissandra, Olaf, Udyr, Anivia, and Trundle)
- Trundle (Faction: Frostguard and Frost-Trolls, related to Ashe, Ryze, Sejuani, and Lissandra)
- Tryndamere (Faction: Avarosan and Northern Barbarians, related to Ashe, Braum, and Aatrox)
- Udyr (Faction: Winter Claw and Hirana Order, related to Volibear, Ornn, Lissandra, Sejuani, and Lee Sin)
- Volibear (Faction: Winter Claw and Ursine, related to Udyr, Anivia, Sejuani, Ornn, and Olaf)
East Valoran is the land of Noxus. This is a brutal empire with an expansionist mindset. Even though it looks like a closed society, Noxus is actually very receptive to strangers, especially those with great strength and mental acuity. Society embraces such individuals and makes sure to give them everything necessary to enhance their growth so the country as a whole can benefit from their talent.
Before forming Noxus, its people were very similar to the inhabitants of Freljord. They focused on pillaging and attacking their neighbors. Their country was formed when the Noxus’ ancestors managed to capture a progressive ancient city in East Valoran.
However, this occupation came at a price. The newly formed country was constantly under attack from its neighbors, and they ultimately decided to fight fire with fire. As a response to this constant threat, they developed a militant culture pushing back enemies and slowly but surely starting to chip away at their territories. Ultimately, small Noxus became a dominant presence within the region.
All of this created a basis for the development of the modern country. Noxus puts bravery above all other virtues. However, this kind of strength can be embodied in lots of different ways. One thing that is great about this country is that there is no social segregation. In other words, anyone can become a ruler and reach top positions within the military regardless of their upbringing or economic status.
Notable Champions of Noxus
- Cassiopeia (Faction: Black Rose and Du Couteau House, related to Renekton, Sivir, Nasus, Katarina, Azir, Talon, and Xerath)
- Darius (Faction: Trifarian Legion and Reckoners, related to Draven, Swain, Kled, LeBlanc, Katarina, Viego, Vladimir, and Samira)
- Draven (Faction: Reckoners, related to Viego, Swain, Lulu, Darius, Tristana, Sett, and Riven)
- Katarina (Faction: Du Couteau House, related to Swain, Darius, Sion, Talon, Garen, and Cassiopeia)
- Kled (Faction: Trifarian Legion, related to Swain, Tristana, Elise, and Darius)
- LeBlanc (Faction: Black Rose, related to Garen, Quinn, Veigar, Vladimir, Darius, Jarvan IV, Swain, Elise, Mordekeiser, Rell, and Samira)
- Mordekaiser (Faction: Iron Revenant, related to Vladimir, Veigar, LeBlanc, and Kindred)
- Rell (Faction: none, related to Samira and LeBlanc)
- Riven (Faction: Reckoners, previously Sentinels of Light, related to Draven, Graves, Olaf, Irelia, Rengar, Vayne, Gwen, and other characters)
- Samira (Faction: none, related to Rell, LeBlanc, and Darius)
- Sion (Faction: non, related to Katarina, Karma, Galio, Jarvan IV, Akali, Urgot, Yasuo, Swain, Kennen, Vayne, and Irelia)
- Swain (Faction: Swain House, related to Irelian, Kled, Darius, Gankplank, LeBlanc, Garen, Vladimir, Katarina, and other characters)
- Talon (Faction: Du Couteau House, related to Quinn, Katarina, and Cassiopeia)
- Vladimir (Faction: Black Rose and Crimson Circle, related to Kalista, Vayne, Galio, Elise, Sion, Swain, and other champions)
When we talk about South Valoran, we primarily refer to Piltover, Zaun, and the surrounding area.
As previously mentioned, these two cities were previously one city, which was split during a massive tectonic shift. Given that they’re at the border of Shuriman and Valoran, you can place them on either continent. Nowadays, there are numerous bridges that connect these two cities, as well as Valoran and Shuriman.
Piltover is the scientific hub of the world. It is inhabited by numerous scientists, which is why the name “City of Progress” makes so much sense. Their discoveries put the city on the map, but we also cannot neglect the city’s cultural impact. Piltover’s artists and craftsmen are among the best in Runeterra, and their works are sought after all over the world.
Unlike other cities in Valoran, which rely on military prowess and strength to assert dominance, Piltover commands respect in a roundabout way. They have a monopoly over technology and are also savvy traders. In fact, we can say that these two things fuel each other. Piltover achieved massive financial power due to its naval trade, which attracted scientists and thinking people, further boosting its growth.
For many people, Piltover is a dreamland. Unfortunately, this cannot be said if you’re a citizen of Zaun, which is located just below Piltover and is regarded as its dump. It seems that the city’s progress is almost unstoppable, as there are numerous industries that stimulate its growth.
Notable champions of Piltover
- Caitlyn (Faction: Kiramman Clan and Piltover Wardens, related to Jinx, Vi, Urgot, Jayce, and Ekko)
- Camille (Faction: Ferros Clan, related to Vi, Orianna, Viktor, Jayce, Ekko, Ezreal, Jhin, and Warwick)
- Ezreal (Faction: none, related to Lux, Zoe, Jayce, Neeko, Rek’Sai, Kassadin, and Kai’Sa)
- Heimerdinger (Faction: none, related to Jayce, Viktor, Rumble, Ziggs, Veigar, Corki, and Jinx)
- Jayce (Faction: Ferros Clan, previously Giopara Clan, related to Camille, Viktor, Heimerdinger, Caitlyn, Vi, Skarner, and Ezreal)
- Orianna (Faction: none, related to Viktor, Skarner, Blitzcrank, and Camille)
- Seraphine (Faction: none, related to Skarner)
- Vi (Faction: Piltover Wardens, related to Jayce, Caitlyn, Jinx, Camille, Urgot, and Ekko)
Zaun is the polar opposite of Piltover. A city is forced to fend for itself; its citizens survive by collecting the waste from overlooking Piltover. Zaun is characterized by a high degree of pollution and limited access to light and other natural resources. It is home to numerous outcasts who had nowhere else to go.
Zaun, or the city of Iron and Glass, is, in a way, representative of what would happen to Piltover if it ever went into a decline. The two were once whole, but now completely different societies that depend on each other. Despite being such a hard place to live in, Zaun has a high degree of freedom and self-governance. Their struggles made the citizens very tough and resilient, with a jovial outlook on life.
While Zaun and Piltover are separate entities, it is clear who the dominant one is. The citizens of Zaun have tried to revolt against Piltover, further deepening the animosity between the two. Nowadays, the citizens of Zaun rely on Piltover’s scraps to survive, while the latter go down below to acquire prohibited tech materials and to finish shady deals.
The continuous stream of toxic substances has altered the lives of its people. Various creatures and machines roam the city, and you never know who you will encounter in one of its dark streets.
Notable champions of Zaun
- Blitzcrank (Faction: none, related to Viktor, Ekko, and Orianna)
- Dr. Mundo (Faction: none, related to Ekko)
- Ekko (Faction: Sumpsnipes, related to Renata Glasc, Vi, Jinx, Zeri, Janna, Blitzcrank, Jayce, Viktor, Camille, and Caitlyn)
- Janna (Faction: none, related to Vi, Jinx, Ekko, and Urgot)
- Jinx (Faction: Sumpsnipes, related to Ziggs, Vi, Ekko, Heimerdinger, and Caitlyn)
- Renata Glasc (Faction: Glasc Industries, related to Ekko, Viktor, Camille, Zeri, and Samira)
- Singed (Faction: none, Irelia, Dr. Mundo, Master Yi, Riven, and Warwick)
- Twitch (Faction: none, related to Zac)
- Urgot (Faction: none, related to Camille, Vi, Darius, Swain, Ekko, and Caitlyn)
- Viktor (Faction: none, related to Renata Glasc, Ekko, Blitzcrank, Jayce, Camille, Heimerdinger, Urgot, Orianna, and Dr. Mundo)
- Warwick (Faction: none, related to Singed, Vayne, and Camille)
- Zac (Faction: none, related to Twitch)
- Zeri (Faction: none, related to Urgot, Vi, Janna, Renata Glasc, and Ekko)
- Ziggs (Faction: none, related to Veigar, Rumble, Jinx, and Heimerdinger)
For the most part, west Valoran is the Demacian land with a few free cities such as Palclyff and Kalstead.
Speaking of Demacia, this is a country that was built on the rule of law. Similar to Noxus, it prides itself on its military and all the exploits from the yesteryears. They are rich in culture and tradition and often refer to Demacian valor as the highest social value.
Back in the day, Demacia provided shelter to all those unfortunate souls who suffered during Rune Wars. The country was fortunate enough to have a high quantity of petricite, a substance that can stifle magical energies and, as such, represents the best counter to rampant mages. However, this is also the kingdom’s biggest weakness as they constantly have to struggle to protect the resource from invaders.
Rule of Jarvan IV
Despite all these honorable values, Demacia is a troubled country. They are slowly starting to isolate themselves from the other kingdoms, and this was especially noticeable since the death of Jarvan the Third. Today, the country is led by Prince Jarvan IV, who, although a rightful heir, is not accepted by most of the nobility.
Nowadays, it is really hard to gain access to Demacia. Jarvan IV is suspicious of Noxian agents, especially since his father was poisoned by an enemy spy called Marcus. Everyone is thoroughly searched and interrogated upon reaching the Great City of Demacia, which also affects the kingdom’s allies, who are slowly turning to neighboring countries for protection.
The blame is not solely on Jarvan IV but on all the upper class. They haven’t managed to adapt to the outside world and all of its threats, causing the country to fall into a slow decline.
Notable champions of Demacia
- Fiora (Faction: Laurent House, related to Garen, Jarvan IV, Jax, and Lux)
- Galio (Faction: Durand House, related to Kayle, Shyvana, Lux, Morgana, Sylas, Garen, Sion, Ryze, and Poppy)
- Garen (Faction: Crownguard House and Dauntless Vanguard, related to Xin Zhao, Galio, Nocturne, Swain, Katarina, Sylas, Taric, and other champions)
- Jarvan IV (Faction: Lightshield House and Spiritmight House, related to Lux, Fiora, Quinn, Xin Zhao, Shyvana, Swain, Urgot, and Garen)
- Kayle (Faction: none, related to Taric, Galio, and Morgana)
- Lucian (Faction: Sentinels of Light, related to Viego, Vayne, Hecarim, Akshan, Pyke, Diana, Graves, Irelia, and other champions)
- Lux (Faction: Illuminators and Crownguard House, related to Nocturne, Garen, Jarvan IV, Sylas, Fiora, Zoe, Ezreal, and other champions)
- Morgana (Faction: none, related to Taric, Galio, and Kyle)
- Poppy (Faction: none, related to Vayne, Galio, Shyvana, Tristana, and Lulu)
- Sona (Faction: Buvelle House, related to Ryze, Taric, and Xin Zhao)
- Quinn (Faction: Buvelle House and Demacian Rangers, related to Sona, Garen, and Jarvan IV)
- Shyvana (Faction: Dragonguard, related to Sona, Viego, Poppy, Galio, Jarvan IV, and Xin Zhao)
- Sylas (Faction: Winter’s Claw and Mageseekers, related to Lux, Galio, Garen, and Jarvan IV)
- Vayne (Faction: Vayne House and Sentinels of Light, related to Poppy, Senna, Olaf, Lucian, Sion, Pyke, Irelia, and other champions)
- Xin Zhao (Faction: Reckoners and Lightshield House, related to Jarvan IV, Garen, Lux, Alistar, Sona, and Shyvana)
Central Valoran is the least relevant part of the continent. It is squeezed between Noxus and Demacia and consists of numerous small territories, villages, and towns, including Arbormark, Argent Mountains, Rijen, Old Bargate, Boleham, Silverrun River, Nockmirch, Skaggorn, Aldeburg, Silent Forest, Tokogol, Forest of Tokogol, Gray Claws River, and Tokogol Village.
This area is sometimes visited by passing champions, and Demacia has a few fortifications here. There are stories of Garen helping the local villagers, but also atrocities done by Vel’Koz. Riven is the only champion born in this region, hailing from Argent Mountains.
Although Bandle City is considered a Valoran city, it doesn’t actually belong to any territory. To be precise, this is a home of Yordles existing in a different, spiritual plane with a morphic environment. Although some humans claim that they’ve found Bandle City, traveling through hidden doorways and portals, it isn’t a place that anyone can reach.
The gateways have existed since the inception of Bandle City. It is a very complex system that Yordles use to quickly travel throughout Runeterra. Most people don’t even realize that the gateways exist, as you need special Yordle magic to access them.
Even if a person reaches this magical world, they are quickly overwhelmed by everything within it. Humans and animals become really sensitive to perceiving reality in a completely different manner. If you dare try one of the Yordles specialties, it will knock you off your feet. Some people claim they remember how Yordle delicacies taste decades after trying them.
It is really hard to tell what is real and what is made up. Of course, all these immortal Yordles come from somewhere, but they’re very secretive about their place of origin and reluctantly reveal any information regarding Bandle City.
Notable champions of Bandle City
- Corki (Faction: Yipsnakes, related to Lulu, Teemo, Tristana, Veigar, Graves, Heimerdinger, and Twisted Fate)
- Lulu (Faction: none, related to Yuumi, Gnar, Zoe, Corki, Veigar, Poppy, Teemo, Tristana, Graves, Twisted Fate, and Draven)
- Rumble (Faction: none, related to Heimerdinger, Teemo, Veigar, Tristana, and Ziggs)
- Teemo (Faction: none, related to Lulu, Corki, Veigar, Graves, Rumble, Twisted Fate, Tristana, and Yuumi)
- Tristana (Faction: none, related to Yuumi, Veigar, Twisted Fate, Graves, Draven, Poppy, Teemo, Corki, Kled, and Rumble)
- Veigar (Faction: none, related to Corki, Kled, Ziggs, Teemo, Heimerdinger, Mordekeiser, Lulu, and Rumble)
- Yuumi (Faction: none, related to Lulu, Braum, Tristana, Draven, Aphelios, Teemo, Rek’Sai, and Darius)
Question: What is Valoran in League of Legends?
Answer: Valoran is one of the two principal continents, with the other one being Shuriman. Ages ago, these two were one whole, but they got separated following a cataclysm. Valoran is a home of various creatures and races; this is where Demacia, Noxus, Zaun, Freljord, and Piltover are situated).
Question: What is Zaun?
Answer: Zaun is one of the largest cities in Valoran and one of the focal points in the Arcane storyline. It is the home city of numerous champions, including Vi and Jinx. Back in the day, Zaun and Piltover were one entity until a horrible cataclysm split them. Today, Zaun is a dumping ground for Piltover and a home for numerous ruffians and thieves.
Question: Who currently rules Piltover?
Answer: Piltover is ruled by various merchant clans through its councilors. This entity consists of representatives from Arvino, Cadwalder, Ferros, Giopara, Holloran, Kiramman, Medarda, Tariost, Morichi, and Torek clans. There are also a few other clans that participate in sharing the power, but they weren’t named in the official League of Legends lore or Arcane series.
Question: Does Vi come from Zaun or Piltover?
Answer: Vi and Jinx were originally the citizens of Zaun. Both of them had a very humble upbringing and had to scavenge with their gang in order to survive. Vi would eventually meet Caitlyn, and the two of them would start working together as enforcers, trying to uphold the letter of the law in both Zaun and Piltover.
Valoran is the home continent to some of the most important League of Legends champions, including Garen, Lux, Jarvan IV, Vi, Jinx, Urgot, Ashe, Braum, Tryndamere, Sejuani, Swain, Katarina, and others. It is one of the two Runeterra’s continents, with the other one being Shuriman.
Valoran is split into 5 major parts: North Valoran (this is where Freljord is situated), East Valoran (home to Noxus), South Valoran (Piltover and Zaun), West Valoran (a region where Demacia was built), and Central Valoran.